At Helmdon Primary School we intend to build a Design Technology curriculum which is inspiring, practical and relevant in our increasingly technological world. We want our children to use creativity and imagination to design and make products that solve relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs. We want our children to become problem solvers, think independently and develop good technological knowledge.
Our DT curriculum provides children with opportunities to research, generate ideas, explore and develop their ideas, make their product and evaluate their work. We want our Design and Technology lessons to prepare our children for success in later life.
Design and Technology is delivered through:
• Weekly DT lessons over 3 half terms per year
• A well thought out DT curriculum which allows for progression across year groups in all areas of DT (textiles, mechanisms, structures, food and electrical systems)
• Well planned projects providing children with hands-on experience
• A range of skills being taught with an awareness of health and safety issues related to the tasks being key
• English, Maths, Science and Computing skills embedded into lessons so children can apply the skills they have learnt in a purposeful context
• Each project addressing the principles of designing, making, and evaluating and incorporating key knowledge and technical understanding
• Pupils being introduced to specific designers, architects, chefs, etc. helping to promote an appreciation of human creativity and achievement
Children will have clear enjoyment and confidence in Design and Technology and will develop skills that they will then apply to other areas of the curriculum. Pupils will develop the creative, technical and practical skills needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in a technological world. They will gain a firm foundation of knowledge and skills which will see them equipped to take on further learning in secondary school and use into adulthood.