At Helmdon School, Physical Education is an integral part of our curriculum. We strive to create a culture that inspires an active generation to enjoy PE, encourage each other and achieve. We provide a safe and supportive environment for children to flourish in a range of different physical activities. We offer a dynamic and varied programme of activity to ensure that all children progress physically through a unique and fully inclusive PE curriculum.
Our curriculum aims to improve the well-being and fitness of all children, not only through the sporting skills taught, but through the underpinning values and disciplines PE promotes. We aim to deliver high quality teaching and learning opportunities that enable all children to achieve their personal best.
PE at Helmdon provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities. These include invasion games, net and wall games, striking and fielding games, gymnastics, dance, health and fitness, outdoor, adventure, and swimming.
• When children reach Year 4, they go swimming in the Autumn Term. Any children in Year 5 or 6 who have yet to reach the curriculum requirements will also have swimming lessons at this time.
• Pupils participate in at least 2 hours of high-quality PE lessons each week, covering one or two different sports/ skills focuses each half term.
• The Long-Term planning for each class sets out the PE units, which are to be taught throughout the year, and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are met. Progress is tracked across the school.
• Teachers use and adapt planning and resources to ensure lessons across years show progression.
• All children are encouraged to participate in the varied range of extra-curricular activities. We provide inclusive and enjoyable clubs throughout the year.
• Physical activity is an integral part our school day and each class participate in The Daily Mile every day. They also engage in activities such as Teach Active for maths and Joe Wicks 5 minute workouts.
• Children are encouraged to stay active at break times and can access a variety of equipment to use.
• All Year 6 children can become part of Sports Crew for the school. Sports Crew organise games for the younger children at lunchtimes.
• Our children are given the opportunity to attend competitive sporting events and festivals within the local area and beyond. This is an inclusive approach, which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also mental well-being.
At Helmdon, we ensure our curriculum is progressive and allows the children to develop fundamental skills and apply them to a wide range of sports and activities. All children are given the opportunities to develop skills and achieve their personal best. We help motivate children to participate in a number of sports through high quality teaching, that is engaging and fun.
The children finish each key stage with high proficiency in all aspects of PE. Since 2016, we have achieved the School Games Gold Mark Award in recognition of our PE provision and access provided to sporting events for all children. Our aim is to maintain this standard of provision each year.